Losing your edges can be devastating. Thinning edges can be caused by protective styles that are too tight, heat damage, chemical damage, postpartum hormone changes, and many other factors. You may be wondering, is there anything I can do to grow them back?
There are some simple steps you can take to prevent further damage to your edges. And some ingredients such as Jamaican Black Castor Oil can help. JBCO is well-known for many features including its ability to increase shine, improve manageability, and reduce flaking and breakage. But most importantly, JBCO can help regrow your edges!
Why are my edges thinning or falling out?
When you’re a natural, knowing how to lay your edges and make them look as full as possible can help complete almost any look. Unfortunately, many of our go-to styles can put a lot of strain on our edges which are already incredibly fragile and thin to begin with compared to the rest of the hair on our scalp.
Alopecia can be prevalent in natural communities and while often autoimmune, can also be caused by heat, chemicals and tight styles that pull at the hair root. Since autoimmune alopecia is caused by an internal problem and traction alopecia is caused by external damage, no product can reverse alopecia itself.
However, there are steps you can take to mitigate the effects by promoting a healthy growth environment in the scalp. There is no secret formula that can magically perfect your edges, but with patience, a consistent routine, and the right habits and products - you can definitely begin to restore your hairline.
How to protect and regrow your edges naturally
One of the top steps to regrow your edges is to eliminate the source of damage. This means stop heat-treating your hair, take a break from bleach or hair dye, and take your hair out of those braids that were installed too tight!
We also recommend taking a look at your diet. Are you eating foods that support healthy hair and hair growth? Are you eating a lot of foods that hurt your hair growth? Are you drinking enough water? Some simple changes in your diet can strengthen your hair, especially edges, and stop your edges from thinning.
We also recommend protecting your edges at night. Some of the worst damage to your edges happens when those fragile hairs get caught on cotton or linen pillowcases. Use a satin or silk pillowcase, and even wrap your hair in a bonnet at night, to protect your edges.
Simply applying NaturAll's Growth Serum before bed and then wrapping your edges with a silk or satin scarf can make a huge difference in reducing the amount of friction your edges might be subjected to throughout the night. This allows your edges to truly drink in all the benefits and stay nourished until you remove your wrap!
Products and ingredients to regrow your edges
Some hair products give your edges the absolute best circumstances to grow healthy and thick! NaturAll's Original Lavender Growth Serum and Fresh Frozé Treatment Deep Conditioner and Strengthening Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Moringa-Monoi + Carrot bundles both come with the two most important products to add to your regimen if you really want to start seeing growth around your edges.
The first, and most obvious, product in this bundle is the Jamaican Black Castor Oil Growth Serum, but what many naturals don’t know is that hair often doesn't grow because of dryness and breakage. NaturAll's Deep Conditioners are also included in these bundles to help with this by providing moisture—especially to your ends—that your hair needs to stay healthy and grow.
Let’s really dive into what goes into the Jamaican Black Castor Oil Growth Serums that makes them such a powerful product! We at NaturAll constantly talk about how this magic in a bottle is a blend of powerful oils and natural ingredients designed to promote thick and healthy hair growth and structure your hair, especially around your edges—but what does that really mean? Here is a list of some of the ingredients in our Growth Serums that make results possible:
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil - Jamaican Black Castor Oil is derived from the castor plant and contains small amounts of ash from the roasting process the castor seeds go through in production (this roasting process distinguishes Jamaican Black Castor Oil from standard pure castor oil). It contains ricinoleic acid, which increases blood circulation to the scalp, promotes hair growth, attacks inflammation and scalp infections. JBCO also contains antioxidants that support the keratin in your hair, making it stronger, smoother, more structured, and less frizzy.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil has a high moisture retaining capacity, keeping hair moist and soft and preventing hair breakage. The softer and healthier your hair is, the more it can grow! As an added bonus, the various fatty acids present in coconut oil serve as excellent anti-dandruff agents.
- Lavender Essential Oil - Lavender soothes and nourishes the scalp, providing relief from inflammatory scalp conditions. With its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic properties, lavender essential oil is also a good treatment for dry, flaky scalp. It also helps balance natural scalp oils, promoting an environment for absorbing nutrients necessary for hair growth.
- Moringa Oil - Moringa oil not only makes your hair look shinier, but strengthens it with nutrients like zinc and keratin to prevent breakage and protect your hair from heat. Keratin itself is a force when it comes to hair growth since keratin makes up 90% of your hair! Another benefit is the added moisture this oil provides, fighting split ends and dryness right at the root of your hair.
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E is a powerful, fat-soluble antioxidant that helps repair and build tissue. When you apply Vitamin E to your scalp, it helps reduce inflammation and repair damage to the follicles as well as encourages growth in healthy follicles. It also deeply conditions the hair from root to shaft to make it healthier and shinier, and even prevents premature graying.
- Jojoba Oil - Jojoba oil has extremely similar properties to sebum, the natural oil produced by your scalp. This means your scalp and hair follicles are able to drink up jojoba oil just like they would sebum itself, replenishing oil on your scalp and moisturizing your hair without leaving an oily residue or clogging your pores. Jojoba oil is also an emollient, soothing the skin, unclogging pores, and preventing skin irritations on your scalp.
These are just a few of the many ingredients and oils in our Growth Serums that help balance the oils on your scalp, allow your hair and roots to absorb more ingredients, increase moisture and decrease breakage, and ultimately provide you with everything you need to see healthy, strong, thick hair growth. If you are curious about the other natural ingredients we use in our Growth Serums, you can always check the product description on any of the product pages or ask us in the comments section below!
Once you are able to make sure that your practices and what you are putting in your body is just as healthy and beneficial as what you are putting in your hair, there is no doubt that you will start to see results!
Have you tried these products or tips to protecting your edges? If not, please do and let us know your experience below! We look forward to being a part of your hair growth journey and would love to hear more success stories and tips in the comments section! Until next time, don’t forget to be deliciously you! And if you want to learn more about caring your your edges, check out this blog on how to maintain your edges.