Welcome to another Ingredient Spotlight! We love avocados at NaturAll Club! We are the only company to make fresh, perishable hair products from the pulp of fresh avocados, and the results of our Avocado Ice Cream Treatment Deep Conditioners simply cannot be matched. Avocados are packed with all the nutrients and vitamins your hair needs to grow healthy and strong!
But what about avocado oil? Extracted from the pulp of the fruit and sometimes used in cooking, this light oil looks very different from the creamy fruit from which it is derived. What benefits does this oil have for natural hair? Let’s find out…
What is avocado oil?
Avocado oil is pressed cold from the flesh of the avocado, which is rich in fat and can contain up to 30% oil! (By contrast, the pit only contains about 2% oil.) Avocado oil is primarily processed for cosmetics, because it can rapidly absorb into the skin. It is also one of the healthiest cooking oils out there, with a high monounsaturated fat and oleic acid content.
Fresh avocados are extremely rich in nutrients and vitamins. Vitamins B and C are lost in the extraction process because they are water-soluble, so these vitamins can only be found in fresh avocado. However, all the other vitamins and nutrients are retained, as long as you use cold pressed virgin avocado oil. This means avocado oil is a great source of vitamins A, D, and E, in addition to potassium and lecithin.
Benefits of avocado oil for natural hair
Versatility. Avocado oil is lighter than most other oils. This means you can apply avocado oil to your scalp and throughout your hair without worrying about build up, weighing down your hair, or clogging your pores. This also makes avocado oil a great option for individuals with medium/low porosity and medium/low density hair, while still being a great option for high porosity or high density hair.
Moisture and strength. Avocado oil is extremely rich in oleic acid and monounsaturated fats, making it one of few oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft and moisturize your hair, rather than sitting on top and coating your hair. These fats also strengthen the hair shaft and help prevent breakage.
Scalp health. These monounsaturated fats also make avocado oil a great solution for individuals with dry or sensitive skin. Avocado oil is able to quickly penetrate into the second layer of the skin (the dermis), providing a deep moisturizing treatment to the scalp.
Dandruff and psoriasis. A flaky scalp is often due to dryness or psoriasis. Because of avocado oil’s ability to quickly penetrate and moisturize the skin, it can relieve both conditions. Massage into the scalp to soothe the skin.
UV protection. Like the original fruit, avocado oil contains Vitamin E, which can reverse and heal damage done by the sun’s rays. Vitamin E also helps with general hair repair and protection.
Growth. Avocado oil contains vitamin D, which is crucial for the generation of new hair follicles. Use avocado oil on your scalp and throughout your hair to maintain and encourage hair growth!
How to use avocado oil in your natural hair regimen
- Massage pure avocado oil into your scalp and on your edges, to promote blood circulation, moisturize the scalp, strengthen the roots, and encourage growth.
- Use avocado oil as carrier for essential oils (add a couple drops of lavender essential oil, tea tree oil, or your favorite essential oil!)
- Use avocado oil as the "O" of your LCO or LOC. Apply lightly throughout your hair to lock in moisture, for curls that pop all day!
- Apply avocado oil to tangles, or throughout your hair, as a detangling agent. It has great slip and can be used as an alternative to conditioner.
- Twist your hair or your ends with avocado oil to preserve moisture and prevent breakage.
- Add a small amount of avocado oil to any store-bought hair product!
- Try the Repairing Ice Cream Treatment Deep Conditioner, which contains pure avocado oil in addition to fresh avocado pulp! Your tresses will thank you.
We can't wait to hear about your results as you begin incorporating avocado oil into your regimen!