Hey NaturAllistas! I don’t know about you, but right now I am bundled up in my fluffiest blanket as I write this. Winter is upon us and it is getting cold! Wintertime can definitely be one of the most challenging seasons for maintaining natural hair. It's very important to keep your hair, and especially your ends, protected during the cold, dry months. NaturAll’s favorite recommendation to keep your hair healthy during this time is protective styles! Whether you’re styling box braids, wigs, crochet braids, twists, or anything else, you want to make sure you have this guide to doing everything possible to tuck your curls away so they can still flourish despite the harsh winter weather.
In the past, NaturAll has provided you with the top 10 must-know tips for winter hair care, but with the exciting launch of our Hydrating AvoKiwi Collection we now have a bundle made just for you to perfectly care for your coils in the coming weeks. Our AvoKiwi Protective Styling Bundle contains everything you’ll need to style your first day hair in a braided or twisted look. Hydrate, nourish, and moisturize with this 6 step system that makes wash day and styling both manageable and refreshing for your tresses! You can follow the steps below to get the most out NaturAll’s products:
- Saturate hair with warm water. Apply a quarter-sized amount of Hydrating AvoKiwi Shampoo, work into a lather. Rinse thoroughly. Repeat as necessary.
- Once cleansed and conditioned, divide hair into quadrants. After thawing at room temperature, apply our Ice Cream Treatment Deep Conditioner, focusing on the ends. Cover your head with shower cap and let treatment sit for 20-40 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water.
- After cleansing again with our shampoo, work a generous amount of Hydrating AvoKiwi Conditioner through hair from roots to ends. Finger detangle and comb hair in sections. Rinse thoroughly.
- Apply a generous amount of Hydrating AvoKiwi Moisturizer and rake through damp hair from roots to ends.
- Use a fingertip amount of the Hydrating AvoKiwi Twisting Paste and spread it between your hands to soften. Apply to frizzy areas to add extra hold and definition. Adding a little at a time, style as desired.
- Apply a dime-sized amount of our Hydrating Oil Blend dime throughout the hair, focusing on your ends to seal in the moisture.
This 6-step process will keep your hair hydrated while rocking protective styles and specifically contains NaturAll’s Moisturizer and Twisting Paste so that you can define your curls and keep your hair moisturized while wearing a protective style. However, you could also purchase the AvoKiwi Leave-In Conditioner to prevent frizz and seal in moisture or the AvoKiwi Curl Custard for wash and go’s. Give the new products a try and let us know what works for you!
Using NaturAll’s newest collection isn’t the only way you can care for your hair when it comes to protective styles, though. Check out the rest of our recommendations below:
- Flaxseed Edge Control - NaturAll’s Edge Controls deliver impressive hold and healthy shine - perfect for maintaining your edges while wearing a protective style. Pick one of three different Edge Controls based on what you are looking for. NaturAll’s Flaxseed Styling Collection includes two clear Edge Controls that come in an All Day Hold or Extreme Hold. For our 4C NaturAllistas with thicker, kinky hair we recommend our Extreme Hold option for a longer, stronger hold. The third Edge Control that we offer in this collection is the Edge Control Black that not only provides hold but also helps to cover grey roots and minimize the look of thinning edges. Many NaturAll naturals will use the Edge Control Black mixed with one of our clear Edge Controls for filled in edges combined with the benefits of smooth edges, tamed frizz, and managed flyaways for effortless, filled-in, and laid-back edges that last.
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil - During the dry winter months, NaturAll’s Strengthening Jamaican Black Castor Oil Growth Serums can help keep your scalp hydrated and revitalized. For a little extra moisture, try a hot oil treatment! Hot oil treatments are simple at-home remedies that battle dryness that causes brittle hair, frizz, and split ends, and massaging your scalp during a hot oil treatment is the cherry on top. Save the hot oil treatments for once a week, or every other week, depending on how dry you feel your hair and scalp are! Especially in the winter, these treatments can protect your hair from the cold and continue to promote a healthy environment for hair growth.
- Deep Conditioner - Consistently Deep Conditioning your hair during colder months is vital to retain moisture and maintain the overall health of your hair. NaturAll’s AvoKiwi Protective Styling Bundle already comes with a AvoKiwi Deep Conditioner that nourishes the hair and locks in moisture. Massaging in this conditioning treatment helps stimulate blood circulation for a healthy scalp, encourages hair growth, and restores dehydrated hair.
By following these simple steps - from incorporating a protective style to keeping your hair and scalp moisturized - and by introducing a few NaturAll products to your routine, this winter can be a lot more tolerable when it comes to managing your hair. What is your go-to protective style during the colder, dryer months? Let us know your tricks for making sure your winter is curly-hair friendly in the comments below!