Whether you’ve been a long time member of the natural community or you’re just a novice starting your journey, Sea Moss is probably an ingredient you’ve heard a lot of buzz around recently. If not, don’t worry! You’ll learn all about it here today!
Here at NaturAll Club, we love doing ingredient spotlights to highlight certain ingredients we not only love using in our products, but ingredients we think every natural should be knowledgeable on. Knowing what ingredients are good for the hair and how they are good for the hair will only help you make better choices when it comes to how you care for your curls. And the good thing about us is that all our ingredients are natural, so we’ll never push an ingredient that is harmful to the hair!
Sometimes an ingredient is so good, we are inspired to make a whole collection of products centered around it. You can see this in our Hydrating Collection, where we highlight the bread and butter of our brand – the glorious and nourishing Avocado – along with the rich and hydrating Kiwi. Or with our Strengthening Collection where we give the nutrient packed Jamacian Black Castor Oil a chance to shine in all its glory. As you could have guessed (or maybe saw while browsing our site), the next ingredient we are bringing to the forefront with its own line is...Sea Moss!
Here we will go over the benefits of Sea Moss as well as what products will be a part of our new Restoring Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly Collection! So before we get into the new products, let’s first discuss why Sea Moss is an ingredient you want to pay attention to and incorporate into your routine…
Sea Moss: What is it?
Sea Moss is a type of seaweed (or algae depending on the classification) that can typically be found in the Atlantic waters between North America and Europe – namely England and Ireland. Sea Moss actually is sometimes referred to as “Irish Moss” (after one of its origin places) or “Red Seaweed” due the majority of the commercially sold Sea Moss being red in color. Even though most Sea Moss is red, it can come in a variety of shades and colors.
Sea moss is usually used commercially to thicken food or cosmetics, but is quickly rising in popularity for it’s nutritional value. Not only is consuming Sea Moss beneficial, but using it in the hair has its measurable advantages…
Sea Moss: What benefits does it have?
Sea Moss is packed with vitamins and nutrients such as:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
Along with these vitamins and nutrients, Sea Moss also has the following properties:
- Anti-inflammatory: this is a property that reduces inflammation and swelling. This can be beneficial for those who suffer from skin conditions that cause excess irritation like itching and burning. When this property is found in consumable items, it can help mitigate heartburn, indigestion, and even help to reduce the risk of severe health issues like heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes. When dealing with the hair, it can help reduce an itchy or irritated scalp.
- Antimicrobial: antimicrobial ingredients help your body fight against microorganisms, which are basically microscopic organisms that can enter the body. These organisms usually aren’t harmful, but microorganisms in the form of bacteria, virus, and fungus can cause issues within the body. Eliminating harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungus can help reduce the chance of illness and difficulties arising in the body. When it comes to the hair, it can reduce your chances of contracting a virus or bacteria getting into your skin if you scratch your scalp or suffer from extreme irritation.
- Antiviral: antivirals are just a type of antimicrobial and attack viruses in particular.
- Antioxidant: oxidation is a chemical reaction that can result in damages to the cells. Antioxidants are compounds that prevent this process from happening.
Sea Moss: What benefits does it have on hair?
Overall, Sea Moss is beneficial to the hair in the same way it’s beneficial to the body. The nutrient packed ingredient promotes overall health and regulation of the body. Because it’s so packed with nutrients, it acts as food for the hair and scalp. This reduces the chances of your hair becoming unhealthy or being prone to damage. Now let’s look closer at all the benefits Sea Moss has on the hair...
- Reduces dryness: Sea Moss in itself is extremely hydrating. It provides moisture to the hair and reduces chances of physical damage like breakage and split ends. If we were to look closely at what agent in Sea Moss helps with dryness, we’ll find that a lack of Vitamin A can sometimes decrease the amount of sebum your scalp produces. Sebum is just the natural oils your scalp produces that secretes from the pores and helps to keep the scalp moisturized. Using products containing Sea Moss will help moisturize the scalp through providing your scalp with the Vitamin A needed to produce adequate amounts of sebum.
- Promotes growth: After seeing all of the vitamins and nutrients in Sea Moss, there’s no surprise it’s an ingredient that will stimulate growth. Using Sea Moss on your hair will deeply nourish your scalp and allow it to absorb all the healthy attributes the Sea Moss has to offer. Not only will this strengthen your hair, reducing breakage, it will also feed your hair, encouraging new, healthy growth. The combination of helping with length retention and nourishing the scalp is the perfect combo when you’re looking to grow your hair.
- Reduces shedding: Similar to why Sea Moss promotes growth, it also will mitigate hair loss and shedding. Even though shedding hair is a good sign, you won’t have to worry about losing more than you need due to a vitamin deficiency. This will help maintain your hair’s thickness and volume. It also reduces the chance of shedding hair due to it breaking off which, again, will help with your length retention and maintaining the health of your hair.
- Fortifies your strands: Because Sea Moss is so rich in nutrients, it allows the hair to not only become stronger and less resistant to breakage, but it allows it to grow strong, already resistant to breakage. Nourishing your follicles and protecting your strands from breakage will leave your curls looking and feeling stronger and healthier. Along with drinking lots of water and getting enough protein in your diet, using products with Sea Moss can build your hair against damage from the sun, heat, or any split ends.
- Restores from damage: Since Sea Moss is such an effective food for your hair and scalp, it will help to restore your hair from any damage and reduce the chances of any damage spreading to other parts of your hair. Even though some types of damage are irreversible (like chemical or heat damage), Sea Moss will give the hair a boost in health and prevent any damage from worsening.
Now that we’ve gone over all the beautiful benefits of Sea Moss, let's look at the products we’re adding to our repertoire of all natural hair products…
NEW RESTORING SEA MOSS & ALOE JELLY COLLECTION
Our Restoring Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly Collection includes a shampoo, conditioner, Fresh Frozé deep conditioner, and lastly – a styling cream.
The Restoring Shampoo with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly
The Restoring Shampoo with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly is a cleanser for all hair types. With it being sulfate free, it will never leave your strands feeling stripped, dried out, or brittle. With the strengthening properties of the Sea Moss and the hydrating properties of the Aloe Jelly, the shampoo will leave your hair feeling fresh, strong, and clean (the Aloe also adds a nice slip to it!)
Working the shampoo into your scalp with warm water will give the scalp a cleansing, clarifying treatment. After you’ve lathered and rinsed, with your hair full of shine, your curls are now ready to be followed up with…
The Restoring Conditioner with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly
Our Restoring Conditioner with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly will work to moisturize your freshly cleansed hair. Since the Restoring Shampoo isn’t stripping, this is a conditioner that will help to add to the moisture the shampoo helped to give your hair. It can be used for all hair types and is perfect for those who tend to have dry hair after they cleanse, no matter what they seem to use. The Aloe Jelly serves as an amazing detangling ingredient, leaving the shampoo a perfect option for those with thicker coils!
Simply apply the rich conditioner to your hair starting from your roots and working your way down to your ends. Gently smooth the conditioner on your strands while also taking the time to work your fingers through your hair, removing any tangles. You also can give your scalp a little massage, allowing the conditioner on your roots to transfer the conditioner’s goodness to your scalp.
The Restoring Fresh Frozé Deep Conditioner with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly
Following up your wash and condition with our Restoring Fresh Frozé Deep Conditioner with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly will help to add an extra punch to your wash day. Packed with nutrients from the Sea Moss along with other rich ingredients, the Restoring Fresh Frozé Treatment will help to nourish your hair and scalp, hydrate your strands, and reduce the risk of physical damage (like split ends and breakage).
After rinsing out your conditioner, apply the Restoring Fresh Frozé Treatment to your hair from ends to roots, making sure to smooth it out and detangle any knots. Keep the deep conditioner on your hair for 20-40 minutes. Using steam heat or a hooded dryer can help the deep conditioner penetrate your hair better, but it isn’t a must! When you’re ready, take time to thoroughly rinse the treatment out, massaging your scalp in the process. Rinsing the treatment out with cold water will help to seal your cuticles and lock all that moisture in from the treatment. With consistent use of the Restoring Fresh Frozé Treatment, you'll find your hair will becoming softer, more moisture retentiant, and less prone to breakage.
The Restoring Styling Cream with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly
After your deep conditioning, it’s time to make sure none of that moisture you got from the rest of the collection goes to waste; it’s time to moisturize your hair! What’s better than a nourishing, hydrating moisturizer that will leave your hair shiny and easy to manage? How about a nourishing, hydrating moisturizer that doubles as a styler that will leave your hair shiny and easy to manage! Our Restoring Styling Cream with Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly doubles as styling cream as well as a moisturizer. The great thing about the Restoring Styling Cream is that it is deeply moisturizing without being too heavy. This makes it perfect for those with thin hair or hair that is low porosity. It is a lightweight cream that you can use to define your curls and reduce frizz.
Working on damp hair, apply the cream from root to tip; make sure you’re smoothing out any knots and detangling effectively. From there, it’s all up to you whether you want to do a twist out, braid out, or whatever your favorite style is!
Here are a few things to remember when using the products...
- Our Restoring Sea Moss & Aloe Jelly Collection doesn’t contain any Avocados! This makes the Restoring Line (especially the Restoring Fresh Frozé Treatment) the perfect option for those who are protein sensitive!
- Make sure you’re keeping your Restoring Fresh Frozé Deep Conditioner in the freezer or refrigerator. The Fresh Frozé Treatment will last 3 months in the freezer and two weeks in the fridge. This is the only product in the line that needs to be frozen or refrigerated!
- When applying all of the products, you really want to take your time to smooth the product onto your strands. This helps to smooth the cuticles on your follicles down, reducing frizz and enhancing definition. It also will help your hair absorb the products better, allowing for more moisture to penetrate your strands.
- If you are looking for extreme hair restoration, it’s best to use the whole line together instead of using a combination of products from the line with other products outside of the line. If you don’t wish to buy the full collection, using the products with other NaturAll Club products would suffice! You just want to make sure you aren’t counteracting our fresh, natural ingredients with harmful ones found in other brands.