Last Sunday, HBO aired the season 2 finale of Issa Rae's show, Insecure. Team NaturAll Club loved the episode- here are some of our highlights. Share yours in the comment section!
1. We got to hear a story from multiple perspectives. This season of insecure has included so many moments of misunderstanding and miscommunication. At the end of the season, we were able to empathize with Lawrence, Molly, and Issa as we saw the same moments but through their different eyes.
2. The cinematography was on point! This episode explored the idea of moving on- literally and figuratively. The cinematography was part of this exploration, especially in the scene where Issa is finally moving out of her old place. Lawrence and his tan sweater fade into the background of the apartment, but Issa pops out in bright colors. Lawrence is part of her old life, and she is moving on.
3. Speaking of cinematography, let’s take a moment and appreciate the lighting in this episode! Did you know photography has a long history of bias against dark skin? Yep-colored film was originally calibrated to capture pale skin, and only in recent years have kodak and other film-makers started redesigning film to better capture darker tones. All that said, we really appreciate Insecure’s filmography celebrating the beauty of black skin.
4. We loved seeing Molly return to her therapist, despite being resistant to the idea of therapy, earlier on in the season. Insecure is doing a great job of exposing and critiquing the stigmas against mental health issues in the black community, and we all felt encouraged to see a strong woman like Molly accept that therapy could still be good for her. Like all of us, Molly has been through many ups and downs, and we don’t need to feel ashamed about talking it through with someone else.
5. Issa and Lawrence apologized. After a season and a half of anger, disappointment, betrayal, animosity, and pain, we finally saw Issa and Lawrence apologize to each other. This blogger’s opinion is that they are better off without each other- but this was an important moment of honesty and humility for both of them, and gave all of us more closure.
6. And of course, Issa’s natural hair is killing the game. You inspire us, Issa Rae.