At NaturAll Club, we believe healthy hair isn't just about the products you use- it's a lifestyle. This is because the health of your hair is linked to the health of your body. Each hair strand requires a regular supply of nutrients, just like your body does. This means if you want to increase the strength, health, and length of your hair, it's time to start eating healthy. You get out what you put in!
We'll break this down for you into 5 essential nutrients your hair needs, and specific foods that supply each one. Your hair will thank you (and so will the rest of your body.)
1. PROTEIN. Listen up: YOUR HAIR IS MADE OUT OF PROTEIN! This means dietary protein is absolutely essential to keeping your hair healthy and vibrant. When you are protein deficient, your body starts rationing your small protein supply. This slows down hair growth and causes your hair to become older, dry, brittle, and weak with time. In extreme cases, protein deficiency can lead to hair loss! If you're not getting enough protein, we recommend eating nuts, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, or beans.
2. IRON. Your hair root and follicle receive nutrients through a nutrient-rich blood supply. If you lack iron in your diet, this can prevent your hair from getting enough oxygen and the other nutrients it needs, which can slow hair growth and cause hair loss. Many women have mild iron deficiency (anemia), so even if you aren't experiencing hair loss, it's likely your hair isn't getting enough nutrients. Make sure to eat spinach, lentils, and broccoli!
3. VITAMIN C. Iron is important for hair growth, but you can't absorb iron from your food without vitamin C! Vitamin C also helps produce collagen, which strengthens your hair shafts and is highly important for hair growth. All of these qualities make vitamin C a critical nutrient. You can find vitamin C in oranges, blueberries, broccoli, papaya, strawberries, and sweet potatoes.
4. OMEGA-3. Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that we need for in order to function and be healthy. However, our bodies don't actually produce them, which is why we need to get them from food. Omega 3s provide the natural oils that keep your hair and scalp moisturized. They provide shine, prevent dry or itchy scalps, and reverse hair loss. We recommend eating fish, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts.
5. VITAMIN E. You might have already known that vitamin E oil is great for your hair. Vitamin E helps with hair growth and protects your hair against the sun and dry air. But did you know that you also need vitamin E in your diet? Make sure you eat nuts like cashews, walnuts, or almonds so you don't miss out on this nutrient.
Eating healthy and changing your lifestyle is ESSENTIAL if you want to maintain the health, length, and vibrancy of your hair. Your hair is part of your body, so treat it with the same love as you would your body by only putting good things in. This is what we believe in at NaturAll Club, and it's why we make our hair products with these very same nutrients! Our premium avocado hair masks include omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin C (from avocados), and are packed with vitamin E and other nutrients. You can explore our products and ingredients here.
Comment with a recipe you're going to make this week that includes some of the nutrients we mentioned!